Career in Building Control
We work tenaciously to champion Compliance in construction, and we are always happy to hear from likeminded individuals to join our offices across the country, both in technical and administrative roles.
Please contact us by sending an email to email@example.com or call our head office telephone number 01275 848 228 to discuss your skills and industry experience.
Building Control Technical and Training Manager
REPORTING TO: Executive Team
DATE: May 2021
To provide a Building Control technical and training role to ensure standards and competency meet or exceed industry expectations. The primary objective of this role is to develop technically excellent surveyors who can deliver a consistent and accurate Approved Inspector service. This person should be capable of advancing the skills of surveyors and assist with improving a broad range of experience across different project types and sectors. The role will also include progression of staff to full qualification status and assisting managers with technical or procedural interpretation of customer complaints.
You will report directly to the Executive Team, working closely with them to ensure effective implementation of the business plan and quality management objectives.
The role may be home based, or from any company office, but will involve regular travel throughout England and Wales.
You will be responsible for setting and maintaining technical policy and competency, providing training and CPD for new surveyors & administrators, staff preparing for professional qualifications, qualified staff and external client organisations. You will provide leadership as the Head of the internal Technical Excellence Group. You will act as a point of contact for staff on technical and training matters.
You will have an in-depth knowledge of technical legislation and practical application of these, including but not limited to:
- Building Control Performance Standards
- CIC Code of Conduct
- Approved Documents and associated British Standards
- The Building Act, Approved Inspector Regulations & Building Regulations
- To give technical support, supervision and guidance to staff.
- Provide training on upcoming legislation and regulation changes and respond to Government consultations. This will be both internally to staff and to current and prospective clients.
- Formulate new and maintain existing internal Technical Memorandums, standard letters, and technical policies to promote best practice Building Control services within Cook Brown and to clients.
- Develop and maintain the surveyor competency development plans in accordance with CICAIR matrix and performance reviews. Ensure the internal competency matrix is up to date and fit for purpose.
- Chair the internal Technical Excellence Group meetings to drive technical competency, continuity, and policy.
- Work with the Marketing Team to promote external message of technical excellence through the authorship of technical papers and social media postings.
- Provide guidance, monitoring and assistance in maintaining the Cook Brown CIC Approved Inspector License.
- Review complaint log to collate common issues and causes to prepare internal training sessions to learn from previous mistakes. Provide technical assistance, when required, to assist Managers and Directors in their response to complaints.
- Undertake technical audits and assessments with surveyors to gauge technical competency across the company and feed into the QA management system.
- Responsible for BCPS returns, monitoring and policy updates.
- Attend Quarterly Quality management meetings.
- Plan, organise and deliver both internal and external technical, procedural, and interpersonal training activities through internal training either online or face to face.
- Responsible for the progression of Trainees, Assistants and individuals looking to progress their professional qualifications. Preparation and maintenance of Training Strategy and Plan.
- Ensure staff CPD requirements are maintained.
- Develop and provide induction training for newcomers.
- Liaise with external bodies to further advance building control training, e.g. education establishments, ACAI, BCA, RICS, CIOB, CABE, BSR.
- Develop and deliver leadership development plans.
Project Management Duties
- The role will include managing a small portfolio of projects to maintain your application of current technical guidance to real life situations. It is anticipated that the ‘fee earning’ part of this role will be much less than time spent on other duties associated with this position.
- Monthly Technical & Training Reports to the Executive Team.
- Quarterly Auditing Report to QA team.
- Chairing Technical Excellence Group meetings, including minutes and actions.
KNOWLEDGE, EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Full membership of RICS or CABE.
- Desirable to have previous management, mentoring or training experience.
- A minimum of 5 years working directly for an Approved Inspector company.
- A full understanding of the relevant legislation and regulatory framework for the provision of the Statutory Building Control function.
- Good knowledge of Quality Management Systems and its application to Building Control.
- Openness, dependability, self-reliance and adaptability
To apply for this position please send a copy of your covering letter and CV to firstname.lastname@example.org