Approved Inspectors provide an alternative to Local Authority Building Control and are authorised under the Building Act 1984 to carry out the Building Control function in England and Wales.
This means that we can become involved if the works undertaken on any project are controllable under the Building Regulations.
Examples of such work are:
- Erection or extension a Building
- Installation or extension of a service or fitting which is controlled under the Building Regulations
- Undertaking alterations involving work that may affect the compliance of an existing service or fitting, whether temporarily or permanently
- Insertion of insulation into cavity walls
- Underpinning the foundations of a building
- Undertaking work to thermal elements, energy status or energy performance of a building
We operate across all sectors within the construction industry and are approved, independently monitored and regulated by The Construction Industry Council (CIC). As the body designated by the Secretary of State in England and Welsh Ministers in Wales, CIC maintains and operates the Construction Industry Council Approved Inspectors Register (CICAIR).
In order to maintain our registration, we are subject to annual monitoring surveillance by CICAIR where we must demonstrate that we are meeting defined levels of service standards, management systems and retained competences.
Approved Inspectors are required to adhere to the CICAIR Code of Conduct for Approved Inspectors and follow the Building Control Performance Standards in their working practices.
Approved Inspectors are required to have insurance from a government-approved scheme to provide additional safeguards for the public.
It is important to us that the highest industry standards are met. Working closely with your design team, we will provide them with advice and support on the latest Building Regulation guidance, with the aim of assisting to achieve compliance and the issuing of the statutory certification upon successful completion of your construction project.
As an Approved Inspector we:
- Provide advice on Building Regulation compliance
- Undertake issuing of Statutory Notices, Consultations and Certification
- Provide you with a proactive service
- Aim to ensure that the highest standards are achieved to help ensure the safety and health of people in or around buildings
- Assist with early advice and preliminary assessment of design proposals
- Check design drawings, details and calculations for compliance
- Consult with the Fire and Water Authorities, as required
- Undertake site inspections throughout the duration of works
- Issue a Final Certificate upon successful completion of works
To find out more about Building Control services, please contact your local Cook Brown office or our Headquarters in Bristol on 01275 848228.