Corporate Approved Inspector

We are an independent Corporate Approved Inspector, licensed by the Construction Industry Council (CIC) to provide Building Regulation approval for commercial and domestic construction projects.

As a leading Approved Inspector, we provide a wide range of Building Control Services across England and Wales, we work with our clients and design teams, covering most industry sectors, assisting with the delivery of successful projects from small residential schemes to large commercial and mixed-use developments.

Get a Quote Our Services

Why Choose Us As Your Approved Inspector?

Our team of technical experts aim to develop long lasting relationships with our clients by our professional approach, consistent interpretation of legislation and adding real value to every project we are involved in.

By choosing us as your Approved Inspector, your projects will benefit from the high level of on and off-site expertise, through to the ISO9001 approved quality systems that we use to ensure a consistent approach to your Building Regulation applications. Read More >

Get a Quote

I have been working with Cook Brown in Bristol for a while now and I always find them to be very insightful. They keep me very well informed throughout the process whilst maintaining a good degree of flexibility. I recommend using their services to all of my clients and colleagues especially now that they offer energy analysis services as part of the package!”
Oliver Justice

When To Appoint An Approved Inspector?

Whether your project is at the pre-construction stage or has just been commissioned, as a licensed Approved Inspector, we can assist you throughout all stages of your build.

We provide Building Regulation advice to clients from early concept design, when our input can be at its most advantageous. This will continue through the design and construction process with the use of practical and informative site inspection records and dedicated Project Management systems and teams.

Our service is designed to guide and assist you through the Building Regulation process, through to completion of your project.

See Our Work


Commercial projects make up one of our largest sectors, with over 1,000 appointments over the last year.


We are appointed on housing projects from as little as 1 dwelling, all the way up to larger national development schemes


We have worked on many prestigious office projects in London, Bristol, South Wales, Yorkshire and Somerset.

Frequently Asked Questions

What information do you need for a Building Control application?

Before submitting your application consider the following.

  1. Using an architect or agent to develop a construction drawing package including.
    1. Scaled plans of floor plans and elevations
    2. A location plan showing the boundary of your site edged in red
    3. Construction specification / notes.
  2. Obtaining a qualified Structural Engineers design package – drawings and calculations.
  3. Finding out the Building Control application fee.
  4. Whether an energy assessment is required.
    1. A Standard Assessment Procedure (SAP) compliance calculation and Energy Performance Certificates (EPC) for dwellings
    2. For a non-domestic building, a SBEM (Simplified Building Energy Model) and a DSM (Dynamic Simulation Modelling).

With the deposit of the completed Appointment Form the following should be provided.

  • One copy of site location plan.
  • One copy of building location plan.
  • One copy of existing and proposed floor plans and elevations.
  • One copy of proposed sections.
  • A copy of construction specification / notes.

When should you invite your Building Control Surveyor to make the first site inspection?

At site clearance and demolition? On day one of site set-up? On completion of internal rip-out / alterations? Are the actual works carried out controlled work themselves – has there been a commencement of controllable “building work”?

The trigger can be complex depending on whether the building(s) are fresh build, conversion or alterations.

The Building Regulations 2010 provides an interpretation of “building work” and we are further guided by Government department CIRCULAR LETTERS (15th December 2021).

In all instances we encourage early communication with your Building Control Surveyor to discuss the proposed works and develop a site inspection framework.

What stages of the build will you need to inspect?

The type of building, the proposed building work, and the experience of the design team and builder will decide the site inspection framework.

Site inspections are carried out on request, the number and type of inspections will be discussed at the first visit (Commencement). This framework is for use during your building project and should be followed notifying us at each stage. The use of the Building Notice procedure may require additional inspections. Typical inspections are set out below with notes which may assist you or your builder.

Following commencement, further typical inspections for a domestic extension could include.

  • Foundation Excavations – to assess ground conditions, confirm the required depths and thickness of concrete to be poured.
  • Damp proof course and membranes – this includes any masonry below ground level, floor insulation and the preparation of your ground floor.
  • Drains – before drains are covered up.
  • External walling – to ensure proper construction and placing.
  • Completed roof structure – before removal of scaffolding and placing of insulation.
  • Superstructure – before plastering.
  • Completion – this is another statutory notification for all projects and must be notified no more than five days after completion.

What documentation/certificates/report will I need to supply you to get sign off?

  1. Structural Engineers calculations and designs.
  2. Piling foundation documents including site investigation report(s), foundation drawings and pile layouts, Structural Engineers calculations and design.
  3. Electrical Testing Certification.
  4. Fire Alarm Testing and Commissioning Certification.
  5. Sprinkler installation and commissioning certificate.
  6. Fire Stopping Installation Report.
  7. Emergency Lighting Testing and Commissioning Certification.
  8. Dry riser Testing and Commissioning Certification.
  9. Lift Testing and Commissioning Certification.
  10. Acoustic ‘Pre-completion’ test report.
  11. Ventilation commissioning certifications.
  12. Heating and hot water testing and commissioning certificate.
  13. Part L, Volume 1: Dwellings – all new dwellings are to have a ‘As Designed’ and ‘As Built’ Standard Assessment (SAP) reports and EPCs.
  14. Part L, Volume 2: Buildings other than dwellings – all new non-domestic buildings are to have a SBEM (Simplified Building Energy Model) and EPC (Energy Performance Certificate). Alongside a SBEM a DSM (Dynamic Simulation Modelling) can be completed.
  15. Water efficiency calculations.

When do you need building inspector approval?

Regulations will probably apply if you want to;

  • Put up a new building
  • Extend or alter an existing one, including change of use
  • Provide services and/or fittings in a building such as washing and sanitary facilities, hot water cylinders, foul water and rainwater drainage, replacement windows, and fuel burning appliances of any type.

The works must meet the relevant technical requirements in the building regulations and they must not make other fabric, services and fittings less compliant than they were before – or dangerous.

For example, the alteration to floor plans and internal and external doors must not make compliance worse in relation to means of escape.

A ‘material change of use’ is when there is a change in the purpose or the circumstances in which you use a building. It is likely that its new type of use will need to be upgraded to meet the requirements specified in The Building Regulations 2010.

Where is Cook Brown Building Control located?

Our head office is located in Bristol. We also have offices based in Barnsley, Birmingham, London, Plymouth, Somerset, Swansea, Tewksbury and York. At each of our offices, we have a large number of professional Building Control Surveyors who are able to provide advice and guidance for Building Regulations.

Get In Touch with Cook Brown – Independent Corporate Approved Inspector

For further information about Building Regulations, please contact our Technical Team on 01275 848228 or email us at

Cook Brown Building Control Ltd

Unit 4, Middle Bridge Business Park
Bristol Road
BS20 6PN

T: 01275 848228


Terms and Conditions
Privacy Policy
Cookie Policy
Client Care